Preventive maintenance is an integral part of a field service management business. Preventive maintenance can prolong equipment lifespan and save costs for the company. However, many field service companies don’t have sufficient tools to perform reoccurring equipment examinations. In this article, we want to talk about why you should consider running preventive maintenance for your clients and how Tasker field service management software can help you in the meantime.
Why is preventive maintenance important?
Preventive maintenance is a process of preserving equipment by checking it regularly. This type of care seeks to prevent system and equipment failures by providing periodic checkups.
Planned maintenance can be based on:
- Time – periodic maintenance, which is based on a system or equipment type. For example, a building management company might provide yearly elevator checkups to ensure resident safety.
- Usage – maintenance provided based on usage calculations and equipment lifespan. For instance, a service provider checks heavy machinery engine working hours and adjust the maintenance schedule to it.
The other two most used maintenance types are reactive and predictive maintenance.
Reactive maintenance is run in the event of system or equipment failure. Although it can be cheaper and time-saving for the maintenance service provider, in case of damage or breakage, a client company risks experiencing downtime, needing more workforce to control and fix the problem. Even though reactive maintenance is rather unsustainable, many field service companies still rely on this method.
Predictive maintenance might be the most optimal method based on time and costs invested if a service provider has all the necessary tools, such as IoT and artificial intelligence solutions. If done right, it can be up to 12% more cost-effective than preventive maintenance.
However, preventive maintenance is an effective and affordable solution if your clients’ needs and business capacities match this method.
Here are a few reasons to choose preventive maintenance for your business:
- Lower costs – it’s estimated that preventive maintenance saves up to 18% more expenses compared to the reactive model. By avoiding accidents and expensive repair or replacement of parts, a company can save workforce and energy costs.
- Equipment safety – by running regular equipment examination, a company can reduce the number of defects and prevent equipment failure beforehand. While it’s not for every business, preventive maintenance can be crucial for security, building maintenance, or plumbing companies as the method limits the risks of system and equipment damage and downtime.
- Longer equipment lifespan – routine inspection helps prevent equipment failure, and it can also prolong machinery lifespan. Changing fuel, filters, cleaning pipes, running system updates, security check-ups increase the quality of equipment, as well as limit accidents due to insufficient care.
- Customer satisfaction – preventive maintenance helps avoid emergency downtime and unplanned expenses to control damages. As long as you take good care of clients’ equipment and prolong its lifespan, customer satisfaction will increase.
Tasker FSM for maintenance planning and scheduling
Many field service companies wonder which maintenance method to choose, especially now, when predictive maintenance is gaining momentum. At Tasker, we move towards automated maintenance and seek to embrace new technologies to offer our clients the most up-to-date service. But we also believe that the surge of IoT solutions won’t reduce the prevalence of preventive maintenance, and it will only grow. However, as with any other method, preventive maintenance requires professional tools.
Tasker field service management software is a digital tool that can help your company gain more control of your customers’ equipment. To ensure that the preventive maintenance model works for your business, it’s essential to plan and schedule inspections.
Tasker gives the opportunity to track and plan recurring inspection visits and make sure your technicians are notified and prepared to handle inquiries. We offer task and time planning based on technician availability, location, skills, and work history (if a technician has worked with the same or similar issue/client). You can use Tasker to follow the lifespan of equipment and see its history to understand better how to take care of specific machinery.
Tasker field service management solution empowers teams and simplifies daily field business operations such as scheduling preventive maintenance visits and ensuring that your clients’ equipment is safe and well kept. Book a free demo to see if Tasker suits your team and find the best solution for your field service business.